Page 26 of 88 FirstFirst ... 16263676 ... LastLast

Thread: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Car is back! Clutch feels great! Time to break it in for 500 miles then get back to tuning. Will have some updates here soon with the setup.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Car is back! Clutch feels great! Time to break it in for 500 miles then get back to tuning. Will have some updates here soon with the setup.
    Thats awesome! What LSD did you end up deciding on? I didn't answer because I'm not well-versed in LSD info. Figured others would've chimed in with their .02

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Thats awesome! What LSD did you end up deciding on? I didn't answer because I'm not well-versed in LSD info. Figured others would've chimed in with their .02
    I haven't decided on an LSD. My original plan was to use the base 5 speed set I bought in my original trans case with my fd and differential. But once it was determined that the differential was damaged and so was the case I bought a complete z3 transmission. So right how I'm using that so it's a stock LSD. I am going to rebuild my old trans with a new LSD a new clutch case and out the 5 speed in that and have it ready to swap in when the time comes.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well got some great news.... Reverse grinds when going in, sometimes... Sometimes it goes in perfectly fine, and others it grinds and sometimes bad enough to rock the car. Any thoughts? Are the bushings on the shift cables supposed to have a good bit of play in them?

It didn't grind going into reverse at all yesterday. Probably shifted into it 3-4 times yesterday.

Hmm after a little reading on here, people suggest putting in in first with clutch in, then putting it in reverse, of course all while at a stop (I never try to put it in reverse when not at a stop). But I have never done it by putting it in first and then reverse, never did it this way with my first trans and it never had problems with grinding. I will try this next time I drive, but I'm not too convinced that's the extent of my problem. Do you guys all put in a forward gear before putting it in reverse?

Some more reading:
    Quote Originally Posted by testify
    Reverse gear isn't synchronized, so the only explanation is that your clutch isn't fully disengaging.

It's either driver error or a CMC issue.
    Sounds like I should double check my pedal adjustment, something I intended to do soon, but everything was working fine, so I didn't yet, just wanted to drive the car a bit before having to work on it :sadbanana: The pedal does feel right though, like on my old clutch, you can feel the 2 different points like you're supposed to when the pedal is adjusted correctly and Bill said he did check to make sure the slave cylinder could be moved by hand, I haven't double checked yet, I should though. Maybe I just need to adjust the pedal out even more, just to the point where the slave cannot be moved by hand, and then move the pedal in a half turn. That will ensure I am getting full disengagement. Admittedly the trans does feel a tad notchier going into every other gear, but it isn't anything crazy and doesn't grind going into any other gear and generally shifts quite smooth.
    Last edited by aLmk; 06-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I haven't decided on an LSD. My original plan was to use the base 5 speed set I bought in my original trans case with my fd and differential. But once it was determined that the differential was damaged and so was the case I bought a complete z3 transmission. So right how I'm using that so it's a stock LSD. I am going to rebuild my old trans with a new LSD a new clutch case and out the 5 speed in that and have it ready to swap in when the time comes.
    Oh ok I understand, I didn't know you bought an oem tranny. Whatd that run you and whered you scoop it up?

Well got some great news.... Reverse grinds when going in, sometimes... Sometimes it goes in perfectly fine, and others it grinds and sometimes bad enough to rock the car. Any thoughts? Are the bushings on the shift cables supposed to have a good bit of play in them?

It didn't grind going into reverse at all yesterday. Probably shifted into it 3-4 times yesterday.

Hmm after a little reading on here, people suggest putting in in first with clutch in, then putting it in reverse, of course all while at a stop (I never try to put it in reverse when not at a stop). But I have never done it by putting it in first and then reverse, never did it this way with my first trans and it never had problems with grinding. I will try this next time I drive, but I'm not too convinced that's the extent of my problem. Do you guys all put in a forward gear before putting it in reverse?

Some more reading:

Sounds like I should double check my pedal adjustment, something I intended to do soon, but everything was working fine, so I didn't yet, just wanted to drive the car a bit before having to work on it :sadbanana: The pedal does feel right though, like on my old clutch, you can feel the 2 different points like you're supposed to when the pedal is adjusted correctly and Bill said he did check to make sure the slave cylinder could be moved by hand, I haven't double checked yet, I should though. Maybe I just need to adjust the pedal out even more, just to the point where the slave cannot be moved by hand, and then move the pedal in a half turn. That will ensure I am getting full disengagement. Admittedly the trans does feel a tad notchier going into every other gear, but it isn't anything crazy and doesn't grind going into any other gear and generally shifts quite smooth.
    Yea, double check that. I did the EM1 CMC with [MENTION=109]Str8JDM[/MENTION] and my reverse grinds sometimes way before we even did the CMC. At a stop I clutch in, go into first, then into reverse, and then begin to clutch out and drive in reverse. No grinding whatsoever. It was annoying at first, I didn't like that I couldn't just go into reverse but it avoided the problem and doesn't grind and is second nature now so its all good

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

My Ruckus Build

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oh ok I understand, I didn't know you bought an oem tranny. Whatd that run you and whered you scoop it up?

Yea, double check that. I did the EM1 CMC with [MENTION=109]Str8JDM[/MENTION] and my reverse grinds sometimes way before we even did the CMC. At a stop I clutch in, go into first, then into reverse, and then begin to clutch out and drive in reverse. No grinding whatsoever. It was annoying at first, I didn't like that I couldn't just go into reverse but it avoided the problem and doesn't grind and is second nature now so its all good
    I bought the trans off a guy on k20a. It was used, approx 60k miles I think. Had second replaced under warranty and he replcaed 5th and 6th. Got it for $900 shipped.

And I will try this, I'm also gonna double check cmc adjustment.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nice, I thought that was the base 5-speed price. So much to rememeber. Sick grab though. I need to prep and get a 2nd tranny just incase. Glad it worked out so well for you. Have you decided on what parts you'll be going with for the base 5-speed tranny on the side?
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 06-09-2013 at 11:07 PM.

My Ruckus Build

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice, I thought that was the base 5-speed price. So much to rememeber. Sick grab though. I need to prep and get a 2nd tranny just incase. Glad it worked out so well for you. Have you decided on what parts you'll be going with for the base 5-speed tranny on the side?
    The base 5 speed I got for 500 plus shipping, and that was just the two shafts with gears, no FD or differential. For my 'built' trans I need to get a new clutch case, because mine was damaged when my gears broke, a new LSD, and MAYBE a new FD. The FD has a very slight scrapping at one spot, but I think it can be sanded and be fine, it is very slight. As for the rest of the trans, probably gonna get a new clutch case from majestic honda to ensure proper fitment and no issues with extra holes for other style speed sensors, gonna go with an MFactory LSD unless I find out they are horrible before I buy one, but the consensus is that they are quite good, and I will have the 5 speed gears and FD treated by racerstev on honda tech. As for syncros and stuff, that will all stay OEM, heard too may horror stories of using other syncros.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well today was pretty productive. It took a while, but I was able to gain myself a good bit more clearance for my charge pipes. I got it so I can turn the wheel a full right turn and it will not rub on the fender liner like it did before. It still doesn't fit perfect - the fender liner is being pushed into the wheel well by the charge pipe - but its significantly better. The last test will be if it will 15x8 wheels with 24.5x8.5 slicks. I do however, think with some cutting the pipe could fit even better, and not contact the fender liner at all. I just don't have the tools her to do that today, but it is certainly a lot better than it was. Hopefully tomorrow Matt C and I will be able to meet up and test his bumper out on my car since he has the newer style, since my bumper had to be cut to fit with the way the pipes come off the IC and even with it cut, its a really tight, stretched on, fit for the bumper.

I didn't mess with the clutch adjustment at all yet, as messing with these charge pipes took several hours, and it has gone into reverse just fine every time using the first gear trick. I did check the slave cylinder and it can be moved by hand, so I know the adjustment is 'right' it just could possibly be improved. I also need to spend the rest of my available time today getting ready to move all my big furniture tomorrow, so enough time spent on the car today.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gonna do a bunch of things in the coming weeks. Gonna try to get up with a local and test fit his newer style front bumper to see if it fits with my intercooler. Gonna try to modify my charge pipe to fit even better without going into the wheel well at all (hoping that will be easy with 2 cuts and a weld), will try to get intake to fit better, gonna look for a longer 4'' coupler, and a shorter, thinner filter. Gonna get slicks and some slipstreams once someone can confirm the size for me. Gotta get an alignment. Gonna see if I can have those fittings I bought for my wastegate lines cut so I don't have to use 3 washers and can use those nice lines again rather than stupid rubber lines. Really really thinking about giving in and buying traction control. Gonna get a new clutch case, MFactory LSD, maybe a new FD because mine is very slightly damaged, and send off the 5 speed and FD to get treated. I think that is all...

Page 26 of 88 FirstFirst ... 16263676 ... LastLast